Welcome, friends, to a recipe as joyous as the dawn chorus. This one is outrageously easy to make, and perfect for a sombre Autumn afternoon.
Ingredients: One kilo of herring roe, a felt pocket, feta, rocket, salt, saffron.
1) Gently salt your herring roe.
2) Place the herring roe in a large felt pocket.
3) Cradle the felt pocket for three to four hours.
4) Transfer the herring from the felt pocket onto a plate. Add rocket, feta and saffron.
5) Tuck into the Herring and Felt Chili.
6) Embrace the feeling of Herring and Felt Chili inside your belly. A feeling of longing, of sickness, or remorse, of regret. A Herring and Felt Chili for what could have been and a Herring and Felt Chili for what still may transpire. A Herring and Felt Chili for him. For her. For them. For all.
7) Make another dish of Herring and Felt Chili but this time leave it on a neighbour’s wall.
8) Recite a poem about Herring and Felt Chili which you have invented on the spot.
9) Cry yourself to sleep.
Serves: 1 to 2 people
Similar recipes: Herring and Satin Chili; Salmon and Felt Chili; Salmon and Satin Chili.